The Local Sporting Champions program provides financial assistance for coaches, officials and competitors aged 12-18 participating in state, national or international championships.
If successful, applicants will receive $500-$750 towards the cost of attending their championships.
Base Grant: $500
Applicants travelling 800km – 1999km to their nominated championships: + $100
Applicants travelling internationally or greater than 2000km to their nominated championships: + $200
Applicants residing in a rural electorate: + $50
If successful, you can use the grant on any associated cost for you to attend the nominated championships.
Examples of expenses include (but is not limited to):
- Competition entry fees/levies
- Transport costs (e.g. airfares, petrol)
- Sporting equipment
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be turning 12 to 18 years of age in the same calendar year as the nominated championships.
- Be an Australian citizen or have been granted permanent resident status, residing in Australia.
- Be participating as an athlete, coach, or match official in:
- an official state championships endorsed by the relevant Sport Australia recognised national sporting organisation (NSO) or a School Sport Australia member body; or
- an official national championships endorsed by the relevant Sport Australia recognised NSO or School Sport Australia; or
- an international competition as a member of an official Australian team, representing a Sport Australia recognised NSO or School Sport Australia.
- one state or national championships and one international competition; or
- two different international competitions.
See full guidelines for clarification notes indicated with *
The following championships are eligible as per the eligibility criteria:
- An official state championships endorsed by the relevant Sport Australia recognised national sporting organisation (NSO) or a school sport Australia member body.
- e.g. Under 14 Netball NSW State Championships.
- e.g. QLD School Sport U19 Boys Cricket State Championships.
- e.g. 12 years and under 2019 Australian National Tennis Championships.
- e.g. School Sport Australia 17 & Under National Softball Championships.
- e.g. attending the AFF Under 16 Youth Championships in Cambodia as part of the Football Federation Australia team.
- e.g. travelling to Belgium on an international tour as part of the School Sport Australia hockey team.
See FAQs for more details on Sport Australia recognised NSO’s, plus the School Sport Australia and related state associations calendar of eligible events.
Apply for Local Sporting Champions
Applications close September 30, 2021