The Australian Government has announced Round 6 of the Stronger Communities Programme, allowing grant applications to be made for funding between $2,500 and $20,000 for up to 100% of eligible small capital project costs to improve local community participation and contribute to vibrant and viable communities.
This round is a two step process — first you must submit a simple, single page Expression of Interest form to your local member (In Junee’s case, we are part of the Riverina Electorate, so Michael McCormack MP is our local member).
These EOIs are then assessed by an independent panel and those successfully approved will then be invited to submit a full application.
A maximum of 20 projects, to the total value of $150,000, will be funded in each federal electorate.
Eligible activities must directly relate to the project and can include:
- fit out, alterations and/or extensions to existing premises e.g. air-conditioning, kitchen upgrades, TVs, furniture, fixtures and fittings, painting
- acquisition and installation of equipment, including ICT hardware and associated operating software and initial user licences
- modifications and refurbishments to leased buildings or grounds, providing approval has been given by the owner
- upgrades, construction and fit-out of community spaces, e.g. men’s sheds, community centres, scout halls etc.
- development or upgrade of bike paths, streetscapes, skate parks or community gardens
- upgrades of sporting facilities and fields including new scoreboards, spectator seating, goalposts, fit-out of change rooms, new canteen, new lights, medical equipment, upgrade drainage and water systems, gymnasiums
- the purchase of musical instruments, sports equipment and uniforms that remain the property of the organisation
- upgrade of facilities to provide inclusive access
- upgrade or installation of park furniture including shade/shelters, BBQs, toilet facilities, drinking fountains
- acquiring equipment for the local State Emergency Service and rural fire brigades
- acquiring vehicles and trailers (and their modification) for community transport/services, surf lifesaving, medical transport.
Who can apply?
ANY eligible community group may submit an Expression of Interest form to their local MP.
To be eligible to submit a full application, you must:
- be invited to apply by your MP to submit a full application (selected from EOIs)
- have an Australian Business Number (ABN)
and be one of the following entities:
- an incorporated not-for-profit organisation (the grant opportunity guidelines provide detail on how you must demonstrate your ‘not-for-profit’ status)
- a local governing body as defined by the Local Government (Financial Assistance) Act 1995
- an incorporated trustee on behalf of a trust with responsibility for a community asset or property. You will be required to provide relevant trust documents.
Apply for Stronger Communities Programme Round 6
Submissions of the Expression of Interest forms close 5pm, February 19, 2021.