The Youth Opportunities program, by the NSW Government, provides one-off, time-limited grants between $10,000 and $50,000 to not-for-profit organisations and local councils for youth-led and youth-driven community projects that have a positive youth development focus.
Funding is for new projects that enable young people to lead and participate in community development activities.
Funded projects from previous rounds have focused on giving young people the opportunity to develop a range of skills, including life skills and healthy behaviours; leadership, communication and teamwork; event management and planning; and providing volunteering opportunities that link young people to further education and training. See last year’s announcement for some highlighted projects that were funded under previous rounds.
The Youth Opportunities Program supports organisations to empower young people to design and deliver community projects, enabling them to:
- overcome barriers to participating in the community
- build community based partnerships and networks
- feel a greater sense of belonging within their community
- feel empowered, as their ideas and opinions are respected, considered and acted upon
gain relevant training to support their participation
- feel more confident within themselves and their abilities, having expanded their knowledge and skills
- seek further opportunities to participate and stay engaged in their community.
Organisations seeking project funding from the Youth Opportunities program are to involve young people at every stage of the project — from identifying the need, through to design, project delivery and final review.
Projects which are genuinely youth-led and youth-driven are those initiated by young people in response to what they have said they need. Applications are sought which address young people’s identified needs in an innovative way and increase young people’s connections to the community.
Organisations must speak with young people and involve them in developing the project proposal prior to submitting an application.
Eligible organisations must either be:
- an incorporated non-government (not-for-profit) organisation operating in NSW
- a NSW local government authority
NOTE: Schools (including P&C’s), universities nor TAFE Colleges are NOT eligible to apply for this funding opportunity.
Apply for Youth Opportunities
Applications are now open and close on September 6, 2021